RIP Gentlemen


obituaries copy 2


Two former Springhill residents died on consecutive days and their obituaries are next to each other in the Rossendale Free Press (Nov 17, 2017).

Stanley Ashworth.
Mr Stanley Cull Ashworth of The Laurels Nursing Home, Bacup, formerly of Higher Cloughfold, died peacefully on Sunday November 12 aged 89.
Born in Stacksteads where he lived until his marriage when he moved to Higher Cloughfold, he also lived in Helmshore before returning to Higher Cloughfold in 2004.
He was employed as a sales and service manager for British United Shoe Machinery Co for many years. He enjoyed DIY, playing dominoes and holidays in Malta and Blackpool.
He leaves his wife of 64 years, Eva, daughter Gillian and her partner Stephen, grandchildren Matthew, Peter, Harriet and Alex and their spouses and partners, great grandchildren Harry and Penelope. Brother of the late Dennis, he also leaves his nephews, nieces and many friends.

John Watkins
Mr John (Jack) Watkins of Dobbin Close, Higher Cloughfold, died on Monday November 13 aged 88 at Royal Blackburn Hospital.
Jack went to Whitewell Bottom School, leaving at 14 to work in MASCO. He then moved into accountancy, working at Riley's snooker clubs before becoming company secretary. He then went to work in pensions in Godwins, Manchester.
A founder member of the Lions and an active member of Samaritan Lodge, Freemasonry, he was a Methodist local preacher and played the organ at church services.
Jack enjoyed playing and listening to music, painting with watercolours and enjoyed afternoon tea with the family.
Husband of the late Eileen, he leaves two daughters Janet and Catherine, two sons-in-law Jim and Brian, grandchildren Alastair, Cameron Josh and Ollie. Brother to the late Dorothy Cunliffe.

Stan lived in Springhill Lodge for 13 years and Jack in Sunset View for 22 years.

RIP, Gentlemen.

Check your sources

Don’t always believe what you read.

The' Buildings of England' guides by Nikolaus Pevsner  are regarded as one of the ‘go to’ guides for buildings of architectural importance and can be both helpful and interesting. However they are secondary sources compiled with various degrees of local knowledge, and as such should be regarded with caution.

One example is seen in the “Lancashire North’ edition. Although no Springhill properties are listed in the guide, St Anne’s church, Edgeside, is included and was endowed by a Springhill resident, Captain Charles Patrick, being consecrated in 1885. Pevsner’s entry for St Anne’s reads:

'ST ANNE Ashworth Lane, Edgeside. By Thomas Bell of Burnely and Nelson, 1885. Low, aisleless and with a canted apse and plate-traceried windows. Base of a SW tower. W front with a big wheel window over a portal which embraces a pair of doors, like a Nonconformist church. Was this a deliberate ploy in an area of Methodist and Baptist supremacy. STAINED GLASS. Nave N. A good window by Shrigley and Hunt c 1895. The Adoration of the Magi and sheep. The church is groped with the substantial, slightly Gothic VICARAGE S. of 1910 and the long, low bare SCHOOL W. 1873 by Harry Thorndyke Perceval.'

The statement that the window was installed 'about 1895’ is true only in a very general sense. The window commemorates Charles Patrick and his wife, Mary Ann nee Ashworth. Charles Patrick died in 1895 and his date of death is included in the window. 

A little probing reveals more however. Patrick’s will states that a stained glass window be installed in the church in memory of him and his wife as 'soon as conveniently maybe' after Rev Cross Jones ceasing to be vicar there. This suggests that relations between Patrick and Rev Cross Jones may not have been entirely cordial, or perhaps Cross Jones objected to stained glass in principle. This is an avenue for further study, although I’m not sure what documentation survives from St Annes’ from this period. The window was actually installed in 1903.

St Annes window thumbnail St Annes window inscription thumbnail