Stacks Image 239
By 1934 Springhill House was in possession of Dr Edmund Leach Crompston and he received planning permission to undertake alterations on the house. Its division into the three properties present today was completed by 1936.

Dr Compston was a general practitioner (Manchester, 1893) and homeopath, initially in Crawshawbooth. It is unclear whether or not he practiced from Springhill House. He was also active in St John's Ambulance and was the Senior Medical Officer of the New Hall Hey Auxiliary Military Hospital during 1915-1919 (see link, left).

Barbara Holden, who lived at Lawn House in the 1920s and 30s, wrote:
"The arched window on the right marked the start of Dr and Mrs Compston's house. Mrs Compston was disabled, I remember, and she often sat at the window watching us playing on the lawn and waving to us"
Stacks Image 245
On division, the three portions of the house were named Springhill House, Lawn House and Sunset View. Sunset View was first let then sold to Harry Taylor. Interestingly, the receipt for the sale was scribbled on a doctor's bill and actually confirmed the sale of the incorrect house… It also shows Compston's signature.

It may have been at this time that the Cot and the Bungalow became separate dwellings, the latter being converted from the Patrick's former billiard room which was used by the Holdens for table tennis.

Hart continued to live at Polefield until his death in 1947. He willed that his estate be converted into money for the benefit of his wife and executrix, Sarah Louise. She did not do this.
Stacks Image 13
Various other alterations were undertaken in Higher Cloughfold during the mid-late 1930s with the demolition of Lodge Fold Farm (the possible early site of Sion chapel, see '1507-1750' page), widening of Newchurch Road and the development of public conveniences and an electricity substation on the site of Lodge Fold. In the 1939 Rates book the 'Council Houses' 406-420 Newchurch Road are unoccupied but in the ownership of Rawtenstall Corporation and Lodge Fold Farm, or the site thereof, is a 'tip', also owned by Rawtenstall Corporation.

The map is from 'Once Upon Hard Times' by John W Gillett. The 'Parrock Stream' in the map is thought by JS Hardman to have been the stream of the dead woman after which Deadwenclough is named - see his 'Baptist Manse' article.
Stacks Image 351
'Dobbin Fold" sign still visible on the rear of 435 Newchurch Rd - the house with the "CPMA" datestone on the end.
Stacks Image 354
Parrock Brook, culverted behind the Red Lion
Stacks Image 3982


A bill of Assent of 21 August 1975 between Billy and Harry Spence and Billy and Betty Spence lists the leasehold tenants of Springhill Farm. It is interesting that they held the leasehold to the shop (425 Newchurch Road). Even though the building has been there for some time, it is geographically separate and never part of the farm.