There is a long Quaker history in Rossendale which in the early days was centred on the Chapel Hill area on the outskirts of Springhill. The Friends’ burial ground was in use between1663-1847, when the walls were rebuilt. It is thought to contain 135 burials with all graves unmarked as is the Quaker tradition.
The current Quaker meeting house in Crawshawbooth was opened in 1716. Prior to this, meetings for worship were held in a number of houses including that of Richard Ratcliffe of Chapel Hill, adjacent to the Friends' burial ground.
This map is dated 1773 and shows the location of Quaker meeting places in the north of England at that time.